Friday, December 19, 2008

His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.


Matthew 26:36-39:
36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here, while I go over there and pray." 37And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." 39And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will."

Mark 14:32-36:
32 And they went to a place called Gethsemane. And he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. 34And he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch." 35And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36And he said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

Luke 22:39-44:
39 And he came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples followed him. 40 And when he came to the place, he said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." 41 And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." 43And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. 44And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.


Jesus had complete communion with the Father, knew exactly what He was called to do, what He would endure and thus accomplish. Even so, He was still in such anguish to the point of sweating blood (hematidrosis). After such anguish, then affliction came the cross - how beautiful is the cross!

Knowledge of what is ahead, doesn't make the burden any less painful. I don't know exactly what i am called to do. I don't know what else i am to endure, yet i trust my Father will not give me more than He can carry me through. He will not leave me alone. He will not forsake me [Deu 31:6, 8; Joshua 1:5; Psalm 37:25; 2 Corin 4:9]. I know God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose [Rom 8:28]. I trust these truths, even so i am in anguish. When the pain was localized to my hands and i could barely afford food, i couldn't imagine handling anything more. Looking back now, things were simpler and easier then.

Sweating blood was the precursor of the affliction upon Jesus. Then came the cross.
I do not know if i am yet sweating blood, (figuratively of course) or if i am in the midst of the affliction; yet it is clear the 'hour' of suffering has come. I rest in God's promise that at the end is something so magnificent that i am unable to see, imagine or understand. I am in no way saying i am equal to Christ, but a sinner made in the likeness of God and called to strive to be like Christ. In His life i see that things grew very grim before God revealed His glory. Things seem grim and i do not know how much more there is, but God is good and will glorify Himself in me. That is a promise.

Living Hope.mov

1 comment:

Sarnica said...

Jenni!!!

I read this after sending the last e-mail I sent to you (forgive me if what you read in my e-mail are things you already know). I did think to myself, "She probably already knows this," and after reading your latest post, its clear that you do, and much more! Its awesome to see how powerful God is through your strength and dedication to Christ. True love endureth, so beautiful to see it manifested in your life!