Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Creativity


If limitations do not discourage you, they give you an opportunity to be creative. With pain in my hands, i have discovered many interesting ways of opening heavy doors and carrying things. None of which would be beneficial to anyone who doesn't suffer from the same pain. And that small victory still doesn't make me feel any less lame.

As a musician though, my creativity can be enjoyable to others... if not just to me. Before i had pain in my hands, i was a percussionist and learning guitar. When i had to retire those desires, i took up tap and singing. Now that i have pain everywhere, tap is a big 'no no' but i can sing as long as i do not have pain in my throat. Singing actually helps to quell my headaches; i think it has something to do with breath flow and the vibrations... but i digress.

Today i was feeling a bit spry so i picked up my guitar. I was only able to bust out one verse before my left hand began screaming with pain. Despondent, i sat there with my head down finger picking without holding a chord... which gets old quick. A bit frustrated, i lightly slapped the guitar neck and it made this beautiful percussive sound with multiple tones. So i began to ever so lightly drum on the neck and sound hole of the guitar. I realize i am not a genius for figuring this out. In fact i'm kind of an idiot for not figuring it out sooner - i saw August Rush! Regardless, it made me so happy to be making music again! No need to spend hours building up chops, no bleeding fingers, just music. I was able to combine my favorite two instruments and make music that ministered to my heart, not my pain.
Next step, add voice... once this incessant poking in my throat ceases.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,"
Hebrews 12:1

No comments: