Thursday, September 30, 2010

Deep, Deep Down Worship

When all you had were ashes, how did you rejoice when God turned it to beauty?
When you mourned, how did you rejoice when God turned it to inexpressible joy?
When you were engulfed in a spirit of heaviness, how did you rejoice when the Lord covered you in a garment of praise?
How can the people that are suffering have the most joy?

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, 
to give unto them beauty for ashes, 
the oil of joy for mourning, 
the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; 
that they might be called trees of righteousness, 
the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
Isaiah 61:3

You have turned for me my wailing into dancing;
you have removed my sackcloth
and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Psalm 30:11-12

"I'm not sure we will ever be fully released to "dance" before the Lord until we've learned to wail. You'll never know the experience of being clothed with joy until you've allowed Him to remove your sackcloth."
Tell it Beth Moore!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Going through Breaking Free? One of my all time fav studies! It's a solid one!

Unknown said...

Actually, that quote is from, So Long Insecurity that I read in the spring. But yes, I am doing some breaking free! ;-)

Jo said...

Great insight! Reminds me of Ecc 7:2-3:

2It is better to go to the house of mourning
than to go to the house of feasting,
for this is the end of all mankind,
and the living will(C) lay it to heart.
3Sorrow is better than laughter,
(D) for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.