Friday, August 6, 2010

Community Matters More Than...

My community group has been having worship/testimony night once a month. It is a really exciting time to come together and worship God and hear stories of how He has been working in the lives of the people around me. That being said, these nights have come with anxiety for me. It was leaked to my community group leader that I used to sing opera and I was asked to contribute my voice. Now let me just say, I love music and played for 15 years in some sort of band or musical theatre... as a drummer. I have missed being part of a band something aweful but I would not have never volunteered myself to be the sole voice of an ensemble. I sang in choir and in the chorus ensemble of the opera or musical theatre, but I was never brave enough to sing solo. There is just something about the voice that is far more intimate and personal than any other instrument.

Today I read this post from Ray Ortlund and was totally convicted about my motivations to not sing. I have been more worried about how I feel about singing and not even seeing what God is doing with it. This seems to be a theme as of late - God asking me to do things that I do not believe I am qualified for and then realizing that by being shy I am cursing His blessing and not doing His will. Whether or not I am good at what He is asking me to do matters not. He will use it for His glory and make it perfect. As I help lead worship, God is using me to facilitate community... no matter how pitchy I may be.

No comments: