Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spurgeon Series Part 6

The Holy Spirit continues to resounded in my heart, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thes 5:18). From an earthly view it is impossible to rejoice in a God that allows pain and suffering. But through the lens of the Holy Spirit, one may see that they are given a gift to walk as Christ himself walked.
Beloved friend, i have been to the places where every inch of the body is searing with pain.
I have been brought to my knees pleading for my death. Yes, distress and physical suffering have brought me up to the cusp of all that God made me able to endure - yet i am young and there is room for that threshold to grow. Dear beloved, i can tell you that God is faithful. Christ has carried me through and be sure He will carry you through as well. These are precious moments beyond compare. Just as James and John did not understand for what they asked (Mk 10:35-40), we do not understand the sorrow we must drink to understand and rejoice more fully in the Love of the Father.

Again, Spurgeon says it better:

From This Time Forth
Psalm 115:18

We will bless the Lord from this time forth and forevermore" (Psalm 115:18). Our praise will never end. "From this time forth and forevermore" includes eternity. We praise Him not in our strength but in the strength of grace. That strength will never be exhausted; it will be renewed day by day.
If God takes you to the sick bed, if every limb becomes a mass of pain, if every nerve is a highway for crowds of pain to travel, keep on praising Him. Continue to bless, praise and magnify His name.
Even death cannot stop us from blessing God; it will only increase the heavenly choir and sweeten the harmony. We shall love the Lord more and praise Him better when our souls can speak without being hindered by our lips. Then we shall speak in a nobler and sweeter language before the throne of God:

My God, I'll praise Thee while I live,
And praise Thee when I die,
And praise Thee when I rise again,
And to eternity.

Then in a nobler, sweeter song,
I'll sing Thy power to save,
When this poor lisping, stammering tongue,
Lies silent in the grave.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Jenni, I just wanted to express my admiration not only of the strength of your character but that your strength comes from the cross. I also love the phrasing of, "We shall love the Lord more and praise Him better when our souls can speak without being hindered by our lips." Thanks for sharing.