Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Primary Allegiance to God

As part of an equipping class i am taking at Shoreline Church, i am re-reading (and actually studying this time), Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands, by Paul David Tripp. Here are just a few thoughts running through the convoluted maze that is my scattered brain.

The last few chapters we have read are about following Christ's example and not forgetting our primary allegiance to God. We are ambassadors of Christ. So when the doctor says, "I am prescribing Micrographic Surgery. Bring a book, it will be a long day," instead of being scared, or dejected; we are encouraged for the opportunity to glorify God. However, it is easier (at least for me) to handle medical surprises than complicated people.
Luckily Mr. Tripp lays out some key ideas to keep in mind (also applicable to other crisis situations) on page 107.

THE WORK OF AN AMBASSADOR
Living a representative lifestyle can be summarized by three points of focus. As an ambassador, I will represent:

  1. The message of the King. An ambassador is always asking, "What does my LORD want to communicate to this person [or me] in this situation? What truths should shape my response? What goals should motivate me?"
  2. The methods of the King. Here I will ask, "How does the LORD bring change in me and others? How did he respond to people here on earth? What responses are consistent with the goals and resources of the Gospel?"
  3. The character of the King. Here I ask, "Why does the LORD do what He does? How can I faithfully represent the character that motivates His redemptive work? What motives in my own heart could hinder what the LORD wants to do in this situation?"
Yesterday we were talking though Matthew 14:1-21 where Jesus just got word that his cousin - the only person that knew who Jesus was and what he was to do - was beheaded. Jesus withdrew to grieve and be comforted by his Father only to then serve 5,000 + by way of miracle. I confess that my tendency is to become a recluse, not to put aside my grief to serve others. So immediately the motives of my heart begin to hinder what God wants to do in this [these] situation[s].

God is present, God is working and eternity with God awaiting us makes this all worth it.


Isaiah 62:5 For as a young man marries a young woman, so shall your sons marry you, and as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you.
Jeremiah 1:19 "They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the LORD, to deliver you."
Jeremiah 2:2 "Go and proclaim in the hearing of Jerusalem, Thus says the LORD, "I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown."

No comments: