Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Shut Up and Drink


Praying for myself lately has been difficult. I realize that the hour has come, i am called to drink of this cup. I am not happy about it and it isn't something i chose, but God chose it so it must be good.

Today i spent 7 hours in a waiting room so the doctor could tell me my appointments were never made and that all my blood tests are normal. It makes me wish i could ignore and hide the pain. There isn't any proof of my symptoms other than what i say. The way the doctors look at me makes me feel like a liar. The way people look at me makes me feel like a poser. The other day i was on my scooter and a guy stopped me in the elevator:
Guy: You just taking it easy?
Me: What?
Guy: You just taking it easy?
Me: I don't understand.
Guy: You are not disabled.
Me: Excuse me?
Guy: Your legs look too strong for you to be disabled. So you ride to take it easy.
Me: i have neuropathy.
Guy: Whats that?

Sigh. You are right. You got me. I'm not disabled, i am lazy. I am not in pain, i like hanging out in the ER all day... praise God my filter is working and i've never said that to anyone... just you, my one loyal reader ;-).

Jesus gave an amazing example of prayer for these situations.

John 17:1-5 1When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.


Matthew 26:39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will."


I have trouble with praying this over and over. No matter how true, it becomes trite to the point that i just shut up and drink. I ask only how i may glorify God through it; though deep down i feel it is enough already... crying like i am innocent.
I guess praying that prayer over and over isn't necessary. I have prayed, God knows how i feel better than i do so... ? Father the hour has come, let me suffer well.

No comments: