Sunday, November 30, 2008

Yet

How much longer, oh God?
My soul leaps inside me, aching to dance and sing.
Yet my limbs are weak and my throat is parched.
Surely this spirit is tenacious and full of passion.
Yet it's captor is feeble, so feeble the captor envelops this spirit.
Oh to be free, not always pleading to the captor,
"What do you need? What do you need? What do you need?"
Your Word comforts, yet my eyes sting,
to hear You speak is joy and pain.
This spirit swells inside me, begging to be revealed,
the more it grows the more the captor wastes away.
Do not let my soul be taken down with this body, oh God!
Free me from these chains, i beg You free me!
I know that You are good,
yet pain skillfully makes me forget.
But i see that You are good.
You show me You are good,
i see it all around me.
Yet when will Your goodness sweep away this pain?
Because i know the depth of suffering, i know the height of joy;
yet i beg for the suffering to cease, for this gift to pass from me?
The juxtaposition of this soul in this body is maddening.
Good and evil, light and darkness all mingled in one little being.
I may never understand this paradox,
just as i may never fully understand Your love.
You are loving me, though my body begs to differ.
I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief.

No comments: