Thursday, July 8, 2010

Brave Enough

So I've gotten in this terrible habit of not hoping or dwelling on good that is to come. Terrible habit. My fear is that what I hope for will not come, or if I dwell on Heaven, I will despise this world further. Terrible habit. I realize that it is most likely a product of my circumstances lying to me. Terrible habit. I hoped to be a performer but had terrible pain in my body and had to change route. Terrible habit x 2. A year and a half later, I thought I was getting better and began to hope again. Then last Tuesday I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia - which explains why I hit a 'plateau' in healing. Terrible habit x 3.
I was reminded today that when we fear there is room for little else. I'm not sure if I am ready to hope for things not promised, but I am feeling just brave enough to dwell on the "party in Heaven" as my friend puts it. The greatest thing I hope for, and it has already been given.
One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. – Revelation 21:9-10
"What began in a garden will end in a city. God’s glory will be shown as a place where diversity, density, and culture will meet. There is a city coming that we are called to live in. A place where relationships will not be burdensome but a joyful experience. A place that will redefine our views of what city living is like. Once again, God is calling us to Himself, for in that final day we will be gathered together in an urban environment that goes beyond all comprehension!"

Today’s commentary by:
Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org

1 comment:

Jo said...

I, too, have struggled with hoping for things not promised. God doesn't promise us everything we want, but He has promised us everything we need. When I take a cursory look at my life, sometimes it's hard to believe that God really has given me everything I need. But when I look again, I realize that it's true. We have the promise of heaven, but we also have the promise of today- the promise that we'll get our daily bread, the promise that if earthly fathers won't give snakes or if earthly friends will open the door in the middle of the night then God will not withhold from us that which He has deemed good. We have the promise that God is our Shepherd, and we shall not be in want. God's going to take care of us. He leads us by green pastures, but He will lead us through the valley of the shadow of death, too. In faith, we can say "I will fear no evil." That is the promise for today, the promise that will hold us over until the Already But Not Yet.