Monday, September 21, 2009

A Silent Fighting Trek

The word fighting has been taking on a new connotation for me. It has become less and less associated with hurt and more like this:
11But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
1 Timothy 6:11-12

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Why are you down cast O my soul, why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God. . . i am fighting to keep my hope in Him but my heart will not follow. I can not see the separating of bone and marrow or soul and spirit. I don't see how this is working good. It seems it will never end! I don't understand what is happening to me - i may even be doing it to myself. I am struggling to see in the dark!"?

The other day a friend shared with me this poem by Cameron Townsend:

TRUST HIM
Trust Him when dark doubt assail thee;
Trust Him when thy strength is small.
Trust Him when, to simply trust Him seems the hardest thing of all.
Trust Him, He is ever faithful.
Trust Him, for His will is best.
Trust Him, for the heart of Jesus is the only place of rest.
Trust Him then through cloud and sunshine;
all thy cares upon Him cast,
til the storms of life are over,
and the trusting days are past!

One thing i have learned is, in the midst of struggle there isn't any one thing someone can say, or that one verse one can share with you that will make everything okay. It is more of a silent fighting trek. A continual fight against lies and a silent cleaving to Christ.

13And Moses said to the people, "Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. 14
The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."
Exodus 14:13-14

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1


A few things that have encouraged me through the dark:
Trail and Jesus
Why you can make it through anything
Living Hope

No comments: