Wednesday, September 30, 2009

O Lord, You Dig Me!

In researching resources on the doctrine of adoption, i have been overwhelmed with the amount of sermons, blog posts, articles, commentaries, outlines and books on the topic. There is so much legit information from scholars who have done the work! So much so, that one really doesn't need to do the work of studying scripture. I could actually take in an abundance of others' ideas and studies to have a really good idea of what God says. I do believe God speaks and comforts through His people, but it is also good to investigate for yourself.

This is just a peek into how much God loves us!

Psalm 139:1, 8-16

1O lord (YÄ•hovah - name of the supreme God), thou hast searched (chaqar - to dig) me, and known (yada` - acquainted both commencing and complete) me.

O supreme God, You dig me continually and completely!

8If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11If I say, Surely the darkness (choshek - a dark place as of Hades) shall cover (shuwph - to bruise, crush, gape upon) me; even the night shall be light ('owr - light, Jehovah as Israel's light) about (ba`ad - behind, through denoting any kind of nearness) me.

12Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14I will praise thee; for I am fearfully (yare' - to tremble for joy) and wonderfully made (palah -be separated, be distinguished) : marvellous (pala' - be extraordinary) are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

No comments: