Saturday, May 16, 2009

Jesus (and laughter) is the Best Medicine

About two months ago, i was finally diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with Somatization (might need to change the title of the blog ;-)

It has taken me a while to come to grips with it as i was much more comfortable with brain surgery. Arnold-Chiari malformation is more or less cut (haha) and dried; whereas dealing with one's psyche is a whole other mess. For instance, how are your mind (thoughts), "heart", emotions, spirit, soul and body connected and/or disconnected? Where does one start and another begin? In my study so far, all i can say for sure is, only God knows!

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12


ANYWAY, all that to say, i've been attending an adult day rehabilitation center and have met some amazing people.

Last week was a rough one for me. I was cranky and emotionally shut off. When i walked into the center Friday, i was greeted ever so excitedly, "There is my friend! Where have you been?! I come Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I haven't seen you! Are you going to have breakfast with me? You are my... uh... platonic friend."

Jonny* is a 63 year old man who laughs... All. The. Time. He says he is a Christan Scientist, he usually has a gift for you (a page out of the news paper- grocery sales) always has these amazing anecdotes and i thoroughly enjoy 'Jonny quotables'. If someone is having a bad day he will pray for that person, recite the Lord's Prayer or sing a very serious and off key rendition of, "Forward Christian Soldiers".

I sat with Jonny that day, talking and laughing with him. The foggy mist had lifted for a few hours and i was enjoying Christ. Jonny genuinely makes me laugh. Good comedians say funny things, great comedians say things funny. Jonny is a comic genius!

Quotables:
What's funny, Bugs Bunny?
Your body is like your car, it's yours but it's not you.
Are you reading my mind?
What will they think of next?
I feel so unnecessary.
You have the attention span of a gnat.
I don't want to be inappropriate now...



*Name changed for privacy

No comments: