Friday, January 16, 2009

50%

This past Tuesday i arrived to a long awaited appointment with neurologists. I saw a resident doctor as well as the head attending. After what seemed like hours of poking, prodding and questioning i was told that there are no more tests to be done. I was prescribed something for pain and physical therapy with a return appointment in a month.

Confused, i asked what we were doing to find the source of the problem. The poor doctor answered, "Well I am optimistic that this medicine and physical therapy will help."
I posed the question again and she answered, "Well I am optimistic because we know it is not Multiple Sclerosis or Fibromyalgia. It is not one of the dangerous conditions."
Again i asked, and she answered, "Well, 50% of patients who suffer from neuropathy go undiagnosed because we just don't know enough about the brain."

I feel bad for that lady having to tell me that. I wonder how many other people she has had to give that kind of news to. It sounds weird but i think i was on the better end of this situation. I would not ever like to be the one to look into the eyes of a dancer (or anyone for that matter) and essentially tell her, there is nothing more to do. There is a good chance you will live the rest of your life in pain.

It is easy to die for Christ. Much harder to live for Christ. Eternal salvation is the freest gift that may cost you everything. Yet the end is worth fighting for. I really wish i could have seen what Peter, James and John did at the transfiguration. Selfish and faithless of me, i know. But it would make this much easier. I heard a quote, C.S. Lewis i think, that went something like, people would live much differently if believers were given a glimpse of eternity and non-believers were dangled over eternal damnation. I would agree.



"Don't give up, give up, hold on,
We're making progress,
Reach out, reach out, reach out and He will lead us on,
Come on, come on, we're getting stronger now,
The end is worth fighting for.

There is hope in the aftermath,
... small steps will lead to bigger things,
His voice brings new beginnings."

Worth Fighting For - Dizmas

Living Hope

No comments: