Friday, September 5, 2008

Discipline




Let us break this down. . .





Sometimes we are disciplined when we've sinned. But sometimes we are disciplined to prepare.

Ever notice that 'discipline' has the same root as 'disciple'?

When i was a musician i practiced daily. Because i was a drummer, i suffered blisters, bruised fingers, dislocations, nails ripped off, muscle pain and even broken bones. I continued because i loved music and through that persistence i got better and later was able to teach.

You know what... i have another example. In the words of my physical therapist/chiropractor, "Dancers are crazy with what they do to their bodies!"

We have a certain discipline to maintain health as a dancer, however that comes with some pain. Injuries that dancers are prone to may include: Achilles tendinitis: the tendons at the back of the ankles can sometimes be strained and in bad cases even snap; Blisters, Bunions, Bunionette: a bone deformity usually in the dancers little toe; Bursitis, Bruises, Bruised toenails, Calluses, Contusions, Corns, Cuts between the toes; Dancer's heel (Plantar fasciitis), Dermatitis, Dorsal exostosis, Extensor tendinitis, Fungus nails, Hallux limitus and rigidus, Hammer toes: when the toes bend up permanently at the middle joint; Heel bruises, Heel spurs, Ingrown toenails, Jammed big toes, Muscle tears, Neuromas, Plantar warts, Sesamoiditis, Sprained ankles, Stress fractures... and that is just the feet!

Our bodies are our instruments so we discipline our bodies so that we may be able to create beautiful works of art.

I was reminded today by my elder that this pain i have now is just that, a discipline to create a strong instrument. A strong disciple of God.

C.S. Lewis said, "I could write a great sermon on victory over pain if i could just get over this headache", and of course he was being a bit facetious. Victory over pain does not come after, but during that pain. We continue through that pain as faithful servants, in chains because we love Christ because He first loved us.

2 Corinthians 4:1717For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26 Therefore I
run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air;
27 but I discipline
my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

No comments: