Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Forced to Smell the Roses


I am stubborn. I am just now realizing this. I mean it's clear that my will is stronger than my body but now my will is beginning to outrun my scooter as well. Yes it's true, Miss Blueberry also as Arnold Chiari Malformation!

Okay not really, I'm just overworking her. There is a sweet little dial that has a tortoise at the bottom and a hare on the top. So apparently the moral of that story did not sink in with me. I have the dial cranked past the hare and the pedal to the metal. Miss Blueberry has had enough and has begun to jerk at full speed. So instead of speeding around at a whopping 4 mph, I've taken it down to about half speed.

I do definitely noticed more, especially the people who stare at me. And at 2 mph I have more time to smile at them and say hello, hopefully reminding them that there is a person behind all the machinery. It has been interesting noticing that, since I've been in a scooter people see me more, but then again they see me less. They stare, but do not say anything to me. They pick up speed to get to the door before me and then let the door shut behind them. And I can't tell you how many times I've been cut in front of in line. Some people even want to play 'chicken' with me! I mean really, if you're power walking you are maybe going 2 1/2 to 3 mph। If I'm going 4 mph and at knee level who do you think will win that game? ;-)

But seriously, at my new elevation I see the best and the worst of people. I see the girl that cuts me off, causing me to run my scooter into the wall lest I hit her. Yet I also see the man that, when I have high centered the scooter, totally stops to give me the 'lift and push'. I see how self-centered and self-absorbed humanity has become, and I also see that there is still hope.

No comments: